I don’t know about you, but there is nothing better than a real breakfast on a weekday morning. So often we are rushing out the door and grab a protein shake or greek yogurt to go. Whenever I do this I am left feeling hungry within an hour. To avoid this not-so-fun start to the weekday morning, I love making up a pan of mini quiches to grab and go during the week. These puppies are delicious, keep in the refrigerator for up to four days (almost gets you through the entire work week), and are super easy to reheat. Best of all? They are packed with protein and the good stuff.
- 1 Muffin/Cupcake Pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Pam Cooking Spray (Did you know this is calorie free?!? Winning.)
- 10 Egg Whites and 4 Whole Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Skim Milk (You can skip this if you want, but it makes the eggs SO much fluffier)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Spinach
- 6 Pieces of Cooked Bacon (Check out my no-mess bacon recipe to help)
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: 1/2 Cup Chopped and Sauteed Mushrooms (You choose the type!)
- Optional: 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Grease each muffin tin cup on the muffin/cupcake pan with the Pam cooking spray – be sure to coat it well.
- Grease the top portion of the muffin/cupcake pan with the Pam cooking spray so that the tops of the quiches do not stick.
- Cut the 6 pieces of bacon into 1/4 inch segments (across the shorter part).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 10 egg whites and 4 whole eggs – whisk together.
- Optional: Add the 1/2 cup skim milk (if choosing to add) into the egg mixture and whisk.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach.
- Pour the mixture into the cups evenly.
- Add the chopped bacon and mushrooms into each of the cups evenly.
- Optional: If adding cheese, add the 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the cups evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the center of the quiches are firm (you can check this with by inserting a toothpick into the quiches and seeing if it comes out without residue).
- Once the quiches are out of the oven, gently go around each quiche with a butter knife to help release it from the pan.
- Serve warm and enjoy or store the quiches in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- If reheating, place in microwave for 30 seconds maximum.
Now you can enjoy a hot and healthy breakfast even on the craziest of weekday mornings!