Hangry (HaNG-grē): Having a strong feeling of or showing annoyance, hostility, or both due to lack of food or hunger.
Example: “I forgot to bring any snacks for my office and this meeting is has been going on for over two hours. I am really starting to feel hangry. You wouldn’t like me when I’m hangry.”
There are two times in the day when my commitment to health becomes an epic struggle – at night and at the office when hanger pains set in. In the evening there is not much I can do except drink tea or try not to think about the delicious desserts I am craving (darn you Food Network, darn you). At the office, however, I have a secret trick that helps me battle the strong desire to sneak over to the candy dish or make a mad run for the last Kit Kat in the vending machine. Okay, maybe it’s not so much a secret trick as a secret drawer – one drawer in my desk is stocked with delicious and healthy non-perishables.
Here are a few of my favorites that I always keep on hand:
- Quest Bars: Those of you who subscribe to LegallyFit know of my love obsession with Quest Bars. I’ve written an entire article about Quest Bars and their amazingness. At the office I like to keep a variety of flavors on hand so I am ready to snack healthy regardless of my mood.
- Almonds: Sometimes your body might crave fat and there is no healthier option for fat than the natural source of almonds. Some companies even make small 100 calorie packs coated in cocoa powder or vanilla that you can keep at your desk!.
- LaCroix: I haven’t consumed soda in over eight years now, but sometimes I find myself wanting to drink something a little fancier than plain water and with a little favor – enter LaCroix. Some of you likely remember this little gem of a drink from the early 1990s when it was incredibly popular. Well guess what my friends, it is back with a vengeance (and with more flavors). I always try to keep a few cans of LaCroix around so I can be part of the group when we go to lunch and everyone drinks a soda. So refreshing! LaCroix Curate Cherry Lime is my current fave and can be found at your local Target store.
- Oatmeal Packets: Ever get to the office only to realize you forgot your lunch? This is when keeping oatmeal packets in your office can be incredibly useful to help you avoid not-so-healthy options. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to rely on a Quest Bar and oatmeal packet combination for a quick substitute lunch. It always leaves me full and gets rid of the urge to eat unhealthy. The Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal Instant Oats Express cups are my current favorite because i can just add hot water and there are a variety of flavors to choose from.
- Rice Cakes: Craving chips? Rice cakes or mini rice cakes are the answer for you. Caramel rice cakes are my favorite, so I am sure to always keep some on hand nearby. Whenever I get the urge to reach for a sweet or something crunchy, I reach for one of these instead.
- Tea (the good kind): Finally, I always keep a good Vanilla Chai Loose Leaf Tea at my desk and the necessary brewing accoutrement. When you are trying to eat healthy and not eat just to eat, sipping on tea provides an amazing alternative to keep your boredom eating at bay. As an added bonus, during a stressful day tea can help relax you!
Now that you know what I have hidden in my secret office stash, it’s time to start creating your own healthy drawer (no stealing from my office allowed)! What do each of you have in your office to help keep you on track with your health goals?