Prepping your meals each week is the best way to set yourself up for success on the road to healthy choices. But I know how it is – Sunday comes and the thought of preparing multiple days of food sounds nothing short of daunting. Here is an easy recipe that I use every week to get set for the week to come.
The result is pulled chicken that keeps for up to four or five days and can be used in endless quick recipes (enter healthy tacos, pulled chicken salad, chicken quesadillas for the kiddos (or myself) – the possibilities are limitless). Seriously, this recipe could not get any easier and the results are delicious.
- 6 Medium Fresh Chicken Breasts
- 1 Jar of Salsa (38 Ounces) (I have used green chili salsa and fresh homemade red salsa – both are delicious!)
- Optional: Taco Seasoning (to taste)
- Hand trim any excess fat off the Chicken Breasts and place into the Crockpot.
- Cover the Chicken Breasts evenly with the Salsa.
- Optional: If adding in Taco Seasoning (aka you are not worried about sodium intake), add it on top of the Salsa to taste and stir in with the Chicken Breasts.
- Set the Crockpot to cook for 8 hours on low heat.
- Wait 8 hours (cue the Jeopardy thinking music).
- Drain the liquid out of the Crockpot, leaving only the Chicken Breasts and Salsa remnants.
- Take two forks and pull the Chicken Breasts apart – the Chicken Breasts should shred easily and fall apart.
- Separate the pulled chicken into airtight containers and store in the fridge for up to three or four days.
- Use the chicken all week for endless recipe possibilities and a quick fix healthy dinner option!